Monday, March 19, 2012

The Other Fudan Campus (And More Food)

     Today I decided I wanted to head northwards, farther out of the center of the city to possibly see some green space. So I looked at Google maps to find some sort of park and off I went. I got off metro line 10 at the northern most stop and began wandering around the area. Instead of finding the park I originally set out for I ended up instead ambling past some huge housing development projects and eventually into one of the other Fudan campuses. I am in the Handan campus but there are three others. The one I made it to today is Fudan's law school. Architecture and landscaping at this school is much nicer than Handan campus, though Handan campus is in a much more convenient location. Also the area around the law school is going under quite heavy development, it is far from the city center so was much less crowded and also less built up. There were cranes and high rise buildings going up in every direction, as can be seen in the upcoming pictures.

Let's start with the construction area shall we?







In this next one you can see glass shards on top of the wall in place of barbed wire. Whenever you are able to look closely, you can actually see labels and such still on some of the shards so it seems like they use broken bottles and the like as a very resourceful way to secure walls. This is done at a lot of different places around the city.


In the above picture you can see a huge lot of broken up concrete. They had groups or workers with sledgehammers breaking up the bigger pieces and then eventually loading them up on a cart to take somewhere where I assume it is put to use in construction one way or another. There was a second huge lot right next to this.

The rest is just going to be a large mishmash of pictures from the law school.






















I realized that I have not actually posted any pictures of the Handan campus onto the blog yet, but I guess I will save that for next update.

Now for everyone's favorite, the food update.


The first item is just some sort of wrap I got at a KFC here. I am not entirely sure what it was as I just pointed at the picture to order it. But KFC here seems much better than the ones in the US. Overall it is still just average food.




Next up is from an all you can eat barbecue place that a Chinese friend took me to. You could keep ordering more and more meat and then you would cook it yourself on the grill at the table. There was also fish, eggs, veggies, and so on. Of course there were sauces to choose from too or it wouldn't be barbecue. One weird thing about the fish there, or at least the kind we ordered, was that they must have been pregnant fish because they were full of tiny eggs. It was still good, just unexpected, and what enjoyed is that they give you the whole fish to grill. (I don't have pictures of the fish unfortunately.)


I tried my hand at cooking again today as well. I made pineapple fried rice using red curry paste, garlic, and a few other basic spices. First you make the rice in a rice cooker, while that goes you fry the pineapple with just a bit of oil. Then I put two eggs in a wok, added the rice, curry, spices, and the fried pineapple and fried it all together for a few minutes with a bit of soy sauce also added. I think it turned out quite good, much better than the last cooking attempt.







That is all for now, maybe for the next update I will put up some pictures from exploring the Pudong district as well as some from the Handan campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment