Monday, March 12, 2012

Death, Cooking, and Puppies!

I'm entering my third week here at Fudan and I have gotten to go to a few interesting places recently. Over this past weekend I was able to attend the Death Cab for Cutie concert which is part of the Jue music festival which is going on in the city right now. It was fun to go to but there nothing particularly different than going to a concert anywhere else; there was a mostly international crowd but there were also plenty of Chinese attendees. Also, the bang in general did not seem to have too good of a stage presence but they still played well, could be because this was their first time being in China. Anyway Death Cab was the festival's headliner but there are a lot of smaller name and local bands performing throughout the city for most of this month. Here are a few blurry mostly nondescript pictures of the concert.

Here is the venue, not the easiest place to find, had to go through an alleyway to get to it. I went by the area a few days before the actual concert to make sure I could actually find it.


Then here are a few pictures from inside during the performance. Not the best quality images, my camera doesn't take the best low light level images.





Other than attending the performance, I spent most of the weekend ambling around the city with a group of Scandinavian students from Finland, Norway, and Denmark. I sort of integrated into the group during the buddy program during the first weekend, some of them were in the same group with their Chinese buddies.

Today, I made my first attempt at cooking here. I tried making friend rice with broccoli. It did not turn out as good as I had hoped but it was still edible. Guess what? Here are pictures of the cooking process, how surprising.







And here is a bonus picture of a puppies I saw a man selling on the street today. You see quite a bit of interesting street vendors around the city. My favorite was the person selling bunnies outside of the primary (maybe middle) school building right when the kids were leaving for the day.


I also just visited the Shanghai Museum but I will have an update about museum visits another day.
Speaking of another day, I was accepted for a kind of English TA position here for an organization called the English Mission Town. It seems to be more of a volunteer thing as I am only paid 85 rmb per session, but a bit of extra cash is never a bad thing. Anyway my first session will be this Wednesday so that should be an interesting experience.

Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Really excited to see that you got this working mike. I like all the pictures on your blog and seeing the unique foods (your's looked good to me).
    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks, I think it looked a bit better than it tasted but maybe next time. My one roommate is from Sweden and cooks a lot so maybe I will ask him for some advice/ideas.

      Delete