Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Food Update


What better way to catch up on two weeks of missed blogging than to shamelessly post food pictures? So here it goes.

This is the first real Chinese meal I ate after arriving in Shanghai. For those not yet initiated this is called hot pot. What you do is order uncooked food like different kinds of meats and vegetables and put them in hot oil to cook and then eat after fishing the food out with chopsticks. The oil on the right was spicy and the oil on the left more mild.

These next two pictures are of steam buns, called baozi here. It is a sort of bun with different kinds of filling on the inside. I get these quite often for lunch or a snack and just eat them while walking.



Next up is just an assortment of street food. Vendors always line up around the campus gates at specific times so it is easy to find a quick, tasty, and cheap bite to eat whenever you are hungry.

This first picture I am told is of what is termed a Chinese Hamburger. The rest are self explanatory.






Next up is a pork cutlet with spicy pepper sauce I ordered at a Korean restaurant. It was good but not as spicy as I would have expected from a Korean restaurant.

I have been eating quite a bit of pocky as well.

The rest is just stuff I get at the grocery stores that I eat in my dorm when feeling lazy or tired. (Mhhmmm shrimp flakes.)



 Overall food here is pretty cheap when compared to the US. It is also in-expensive going out to eat (depending on where you go of course) so it is feasable to go out a lot but I also like to eat in to subsidize my budget for more travels around China.

That is all for now, look forward to more action packed, non-food related posts in the future that may even give you a glimpse of city life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment