Friday, April 6, 2012

Hangzhou Day 1

I am currently in Hangzhou, a city not to far away from Shanghai, sitting in the outside swing on a nice cool moonlit night with the gentle him of traffic around me. The hostel I am staying some say is in the countryside relatively speaking, but it is more of a village or suburb I suppose. It is a really quaint little place, they grow there own tea here, have a few dogs, a deck, and even a little fish pond. The town around me is basically one road with alleyways sprouting from it. The architecture here is much more Chinese than in Shanghai.

I arrived here taking the "fast train" which moves at about 300km/hour and made it to the city in about 40 minutes. I then had to wait in line forever in a taxi that then got stuck in traffic. The cab driver offered me one of his cigarettes, so not wanting to be rude I smoked in the car with him. I usually don't refuse anything that is offered to me here.

Upon being dropped off by the taxi I had some trouble actually finding the hostel. It was not on the exact road that the website had noted. So I stumbled around some random alleyways trying to find the right building. I saw a few hens, roosters, and ducks just chilling in the shade or walking around. Since I had no idea where I was going I asked some locals for directions. I didn't understand anything they said but the pointing helped so I nodded my head and made it seem like I understood.

After checking in and getting settled I decided to rent a bike and try to find the West Lake, which is the reason so many people visit Hangzhou. I am still not sure how I made it to where I did but it was not the lake but one of the rivers. My accident did find me a pagoda which was interesting to see and climb to the top off. After leaving this area I got lost for almost 2 hours, trying to find my way back to the hostel.

I failed to find my way on my own and again asked for directions. Every Chinese person I have ever asked for help has been extremely friendly and always try to help their best. The people I asked for directions from this time even went through the trouble of calling a friend to find out where I should go.

With their help I eventually made it back home but from a different direction than where I came from. I did get to see a bit of the lake but it was dark when I got to it so have not seen much yet. Since I did not eat all day I found a small local place to eat. A lot of food you order at restaurants here is meant to be shared, so what I ordered came in a huge portion which I promptly scarfed down.

Annnnd, now I am here writing this post. Just sitting and relaxing, watching some puppies. I was even invited to watch Mr. Bean in one of the common rooms. The owners here are extremely nice as well and do their best to help with whatever you ask.

There internet is slow here which is why I have not uploaded pictures, so I will just do a big picture post when I get back to Fudan.

Well I am going to get off to bed early so I can get to the lake as soon as I can.

Your favorite blogger in China named Michael Nemchick,
Michael Nemchick

No comments:

Post a Comment