Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 2

 So today I woke up and decided I was going to walk around all of West Lake. Not a whole lot to really put into words. It is really beautiful and nice here, definitely a nice place to go and get away from the city.

It is really crowded during the day time around the lake on the weekend. A ton of tourists from other parts of China come to visit here riding in on buses. Chinese tourists stand out as much as American ones do. A lot of them come in tour groups and all wear same colored hats or shirts or something and follow a person who speaks into a voice amplifier and carries a flag around.

Chinese tourists also seem to enjoy taking pictures with foreigners. A group of people asked to take a picture with me while I was walking and they're always very excited to do so. This happened to me in Shanghai and also on Chongming island. I think it's funny so I just go along with it. Then I got to wondering what it would look like if people from America ran up to anyone Asian looking and asked to take a picture with them.

I ventured into the city a bit today as well. There is a whole street dedicated to food which I will definitely be revisiting. Tomorrow I think I will visit some of the attractions more in the countryside. I heard there is a big tea field to go and see. The green tea here is famous so I plan on bringing some back to the US.

The more I stay at this hostel the more I like it. Tonight the owners made dumplings and offered them to everyone. They are only a bit older than me it seems. I also ran into some exchange students who are staying here for the night from Fudan. I am not sure I have seen any of them before but it still gives common ground for conversation.

That is all for now, I am going to end this post now while it is relatively short.

No comments:

Post a Comment